New hobby - rebuilding receivers

Got a great system? Have a question about one? Or just a component? Let's talk about it. We'll try to cover everything from iPods to full blown theater systems.
Texdentist
Thumb

In the last 6-8 months, I have delved into the hobby of audio repair. I had three Marantz receivers in my younger days and always loved the styling and sound. I have been a regular on Audiokarma.org for several months and have learned tons about recapping/refurbishing/repair of these units. I grew up around this stuff -- my dad was an electrical engineer and lifelong ham operator who built his own equipment. But I was more interested in cars and girls, so never did much work on them. Anyway, on the advice of experts on AK, I started with a Marantz 2220 receiver and got it running like a champ with new LED lights, a recap, and replacement of known troublesome transistors and diodes. I then did a couple of 2230's, couple of 2245's, a 2270 and a 2275. I finally got my hands on my dream receiver - A Marantz 2325 with 125 watts per channel. It is a real beast. Recapped it, put in new LED lights and it drives my Klipsch Forte speakers enough to shake the hill I live on. :lol: Here is a pic after I got it rebuilt. I'm working on another 2245 right now. This hobby is even more addicting than the car hobby was for me. My study has been turned into a workroom and various receivers and turntables (also rebuilding them) are stacked all over the room. It's a good hobby for somebody who has gotten too old for racing cars and chasing girls. :grin:

"Elections have consequences. At the end of the day, I won." -- Barack Obama, January 23, 2009
VFPreacher
VFF Finger Ringers

Nice. Marantz is a quality receiver. They're a little under powered for my taste -but they use the power very efficiently. Nice job.

ArKay99
VFF Finger Ringers

Texdentist wrote:In the last 6-8 months, I have delved into the hobby of audio repair. I had three Marantz receivers in my younger days and always loved the styling and sound. I have been a regular on Audiokarma.org for several months and have learned tons about recapping/refurbishing/repair of these units. I grew up around this stuff -- my dad was an electrical engineer and lifelong ham operator who built his own equipment. But I was more interested in cars and girls, so never did much work on them. Anyway, on the advice of experts on AK, I started with a Marantz 2220 receiver and got it running like a champ with new LED lights, a recap, and replacement of known troublesome transistors and diodes. I then did a couple of 2230's, couple of 2245's, a 2270 and a 2275. I finally got my hands on my dream receiver - A Marantz 2325 with 125 watts per channel. It is a real beast. Recapped it, put in new LED lights and it drives my Klipsch Forte speakers enough to shake the hill I live on. :lol: Here is a pic after I got it rebuilt. I'm working on another 2245 right now. This hobby is even more addicting than the car hobby was for me. My study has been turned into a workroom and various receivers and turntables (also rebuilding them) are stacked all over the room. It's a good hobby for somebody who has gotten too old for racing cars and chasing girls. :grin:

We need a drool smiley...

Nice going doc!

The democrat party is the most successful hate group. It attracts poor people who hate rich people, black people who hate white people, gay people who hate straight people, feminists who hate men, environmentalists who hate the internal combustion engine, and a lot of bratty college kids who hate their parents. However, the real secret of the party's success is that it attracts the support of journalists who hate Republicans, and who therefore work tirelessly to convince the rest of us that we should vote for democrats.
Torch
Ring Finger

You're never to old for racing cars and chasing girls of course you might be to old to remember what to do with the girls you do catch

When it's time to fight, you fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark and brother, it's starting to rain.
Texdentist
Thumb

Torch wrote: of course you might be to old to remember what to do with the girls you do catch

Lol. The only girls I care about other than the great one I have are the ones carrying steak to my table. :lol:

"Elections have consequences. At the end of the day, I won." -- Barack Obama, January 23, 2009
Texdentist
Thumb

VFPreacher wrote:Nice. Marantz is a quality receiver. They're a little under powered for my taste -but they use the power very efficiently. Nice job.

Underpowered? Holy Crap! How much power do you need? :shock:

VFPreacher
VFF Finger Ringers

Texdentist wrote:Underpowered? Holy Crap! How much power do you need? :shock:

It's a quality receiver and you did a real nice job. :thumbsup:

ArKay99
VFF Finger Ringers

Texdentist wrote:Underpowered? Holy Crap! How much power do you need? :shock:

:lol: He dirves a vette, or used to... I assume that question was rhetorical? :lol:

The democrat party is the most successful hate group. It attracts poor people who hate rich people, black people who hate white people, gay people who hate straight people, feminists who hate men, environmentalists who hate the internal combustion engine, and a lot of bratty college kids who hate their parents. However, the real secret of the party's success is that it attracts the support of journalists who hate Republicans, and who therefore work tirelessly to convince the rest of us that we should vote for democrats.
BugsyK
Pinky Finger

That's a nice receiver Tex and a cool hobby. I picked up a vintage Mitsubishi DA-A10 power amp with power level meter and some Wharfedale E90 speakers a couple years ago. Been looking for a nice receiver off and on since then but just don't really trust Ebay vendors on this kinda thing. If you rebuild one and decide to sell it let me know.
Attachments
18890211.jpg
18890211.jpg (102.78 KiB) Viewed 661 times
mBsLziq5Y189yucaAo2IClw.jpg
mBsLziq5Y189yucaAo2IClw.jpg (13.57 KiB) Viewed 661 times

Return to “iPods to Home Theater”