Saw "Let It Be" last night

Don't play an instrument, but you're a devotee of the art? Got a favorite band or artist?
Texdentist
Thumb

We have season tickets to Broadway at Bass Hall in Fort Worth, where they have about 8 shows each season. Usually typical Broadway stuff like Phantom of the Opera or Wicked. But last night they had a Beatles cover show by a group called Let It Be. They were absolutely fantastic. Did lots of songs from every era - dressed in the era appropriate attire - and pretty much nailed every number. From the Sgt Peppers era forward, they had a keyboardist back in the corner doing all of the symphonic fill-ins to make the songs sound right and he was amazing. They thrilled a crowd of a couple of thousand people mostly in their 50's and 60's. One song stood out to me because I'm a guitarist. The guy playing George was really, really good, but most of the songs didn't really unleash him. In the segment of the show where they played some of their solo hits, they played "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". "George" said that his friend Eric Clapton usually did the lead work, but he was going to give it a try himself. The big solo is at the end and George tore into it on a maroon Les Paul for an extended solo where they finally turned him up and let 'er rip. Wow! That guy can play. I was 14 when the Beatles had their first U.S. hit and I was immediately a lifetime fan. If Let It Be ever comes to your area, go see them. Great show! :thumbsup:

"Elections have consequences. At the end of the day, I won." -- Barack Obama, January 23, 2009
VFPreacher
VFF Finger Ringers

Do they do a John Lennon interpretive dance to close the show ? :lol:

They're playing my city next week.

Texdentist
Thumb

:lol: They play it pretty straight. All of the musicians have the body language and stage movements down to a T. John even interacts with the audience joking now and then. He made the famous joke about those in the "Cheap seats" and the rich folks up front. It was just a very entertaining show. Paul and John, of course do most of the singing. Their voices are not spot on with the originals - John is closest when he sings the songs from later in the career. But both are good, and all of the instrumental musicianship is outstanding.

"Elections have consequences. At the end of the day, I won." -- Barack Obama, January 23, 2009

Return to “Music for Fans”