Saving Drawmain Marc's Renegade Crossfire Corvette Intake Manifold

Articles, How to's, tips, and suggestions on wrenching your ride or project.

Moderator: maniacmechanic

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

ArKay99 wrote:It's sad that to get good parts these days you have to go to this extent of reman...especially with such a high up front cost!

It happens with Frequent occurance.
This is one of the Worst Fubars I have witnessed with aftermarket Corvette parts.

ArKay99
VFF Finger Ringers

maniacmechanic wrote:It happens with Frequent occurance.
This is one of the Worst Fubars I have witnessed with aftermarket Corvette parts.

I had a similar experience, at least for me, it was pretty bad. A while ago I bought an LGM exhaust for my 99. It was 3" from the flange to the mufflers and had larger tubes to the outlet. I already had the Kooks 1 7/8" headers to 3" pipes with cat and xpipe and wanted to eliminate the choking off from the 2 1/2 exhaust all the aftermarket systems had. The LGM's would accomplish this. So I ordered the $1k exhaust and when it came I went to put it on. The driver's side went in, up and over the axle and sat just fine. The passengers side was in no way going to fit properly. No matter which way I twisted and turned the pipes, nothing would get it line up. I was pretty fugly. SO I called LGM and they said to send it back and they'd send me a new set. Did that, cost me another 60 bucks, and waited, and waited, and called and called. They always said they had a new set coming in and they'd get me a new set out by the end of whatever week I was calling about. After 2 months of this I finally called and told them to refund my money, which they did, I asked them what the problem was and they said there wasn't one, and that they were just getting slower than fullfilments from the supplier. When I got the refund, I bought a set of Z06 TI's and a set of electric cutouts. A much better arrangement. Made the car lighter, the LGM's were about 30 lbs, and the TI's are 17lbs. And the cutouts were maybe 2 lbs total. But what a great mod! Open and close the cutouts from a console mounted switch!

Anyway, a few months later I went to East Coast Superchargers to tune and told them about my experience. They told me they had 2 vettes with LGM's come in with the exact same problem and to fix it they had to take the torch to the tubes and re bend them... I didn't want to do that with a new system and possibly void any warranty, plus at the time I didn't have a lift and didnt' want to be on the ground with limited clearance holding a torch.

Now, this wasn't anything as close to what's going on here, but it frustrated the hell out of me.

The democrat party is the most successful hate group. It attracts poor people who hate rich people, black people who hate white people, gay people who hate straight people, feminists who hate men, environmentalists who hate the internal combustion engine, and a lot of bratty college kids who hate their parents. However, the real secret of the party's success is that it attracts the support of journalists who hate Republicans, and who therefore work tirelessly to convince the rest of us that we should vote for democrats.
maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

ArKay99 wrote:I had a similar experience, at least for me, it was pretty bad. A while ago I bought an LGM exhaust for my 99. It was 3" from the flange to the mufflers and had larger tubes to the outlet. I already had the Kooks 1 7/8" headers to 3" pipes with cat and xpipe and wanted to eliminate the choking off from the 2 1/2 exhaust all the aftermarket systems had. The LGM's would accomplish this. So I ordered the $1k exhaust and when it came I went to put it on. The driver's side went in, up and over the axle and sat just fine. The passengers side was in no way going to fit properly. No matter which way I twisted and turned the pipes, nothing would get it line up. I was pretty fugly. SO I called LGM and they said to send it back and they'd send me a new set. Did that, cost me another 60 bucks, and waited, and waited, and called and called. They always said they had a new set coming in and they'd get me a new set out by the end of whatever week I was calling about. After 2 months of this I finally called and told them to refund my money, which they did, I asked them what the problem was and they said there wasn't one, and that they were just getting slower than fullfilments from the supplier. When I got the refund, I bought a set of Z06 TI's and a set of electric cutouts. A much better arrangement. Made the car lighter, the LGM's were about 30 lbs, and the TI's are 17lbs. And the cutouts were maybe 2 lbs total. But what a great mod! Open and close the cutouts from a console mounted switch!

Anyway, a few months later I went to East Coast Superchargers to tune and told them about my experience. They told me they had 2 vettes with LGM's come in with the exact same problem and to fix it they had to take the torch to the tubes and re bend them... I didn't want to do that with a new system and possibly void any warranty, plus at the time I didn't have a lift and didnt' want to be on the ground with limited clearance holding a torch.

Now, this wasn't anything as close to what's going on here, but it frustrated the hell out of me.

Very Bad or No Quality Control Exists all too Often Nitro.

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

Bob says he is getting closer to being done .
A custom one off sleeve has to be made for the Renegade Intake distributor hole.

Nothing was machined right correct.
How Marc's Corvette ran with this intake was a Miracle.

Almost an Act of God to Save it.

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

The Renegade is finally done.
Bob is going to glass bead it today to remove old stains in the aluminum casting from prior use.
I pick it up Saturday after work.
Get it shipped off to Marc in Georgia Early Next week. :thumbsup:

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

Sheeze.
Damn Fucken Photobucket.

Months of work here down the drain,

It has to be ghost town on Grumpys site looking viewing my old threads there.
Near every single photo posted by me was with Photobucket.

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

Return to “Tech”