Saving Drawmain Marc's Renegade Crossfire Corvette Intake Manifold

Articles, How to's, tips, and suggestions on wrenching your ride or project.

Moderator: maniacmechanic

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

The Work is being done by close local Machinist Friend Mopar Bob.
If its Impossible to fix & No One else in the world can do it Bob & Me can figure it out & get the job done.

What we have here is an aftermarket 1982 C3 & 1984 C4 Corvette CFI EFI Intake Manifold that was released sold to my friend Marc in Georgia.
They cost alot of Money to buy. Close to $1,000.00 Dollars.
The machine work on much aftermarket performance parts is terrible today.
Does not matter if its Chevy, Pontiac V8, Ford, Or Mopar.
Much is actually Offshore China produced & Finished machined there (They pay them like $ .50 cents an hour if there lucky).
They Mother Fucken Lie to You.
Such is the case here.

None of the Intake Manifold Bolt Holes were machined drilled in the correct locations.
The Distributor Hole is machined off center by a 1/4" -.250" too.
Marc could never get his Chevy Distributor to seat fully & was canted off at an angle also.

It took a while to figure out what to do as there is NO DATUMN REFERENCE POINTS ON THIS CFI SBC RENEGADE INTAKE MANIFOLD.
We used a Vintage 1976 Offenhauser Dial-A- Flow Single Plane Racing Intake Manifold I had put away in Mint brand new condition as baseline intake to measure off of & Bob built a dedicated test stand JIG off it.
Offenhauser Intakes are machined super accurate. I have a Vintage Offy Intake on my 1965 Olds 425A V8 engine I stuffed into my 1963 Grand Prix. Fits like a Glove Perfect.

All the Intake Bolt holes have been TIG welded shut.
Bob will locate redrill in the correct locations.

Next the Distributor mounting hole will have a Machined aluminum plug made & TIG welded in.
Then Rebore the distibutor hole in correct center location required & correct diameter ( The China guys machined the hole fucken lopsided ).
I took measurements off one of my Chevy VERTEX MAGNETOS ( MSD IS CHINA JUNK TODAY ALSO).

Be a Few weeks before Bob is done with Marc's Intake.
Government project at his work for Me for Marc.

BR

Drawmain
Pinky Finger

I'll be glad to get it back fixed up :) In the meantime I am using a ported Crossfire intake and its doing fine as a fill in.

yedister
Pinky Finger

Don't blame the chinese, it's the american companies that commission them to make those parts. Then they sell them without a care in the world for a cheaper price.

Will the custom intake flow better than the factory one or the way over priced one?

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

yedister wrote:Don't blame the chinese, it's the american companies that commission them to make those parts. Then they sell them without a care in the world for a cheaper price.

Will the custom intake flow better than the factory one or the way over priced one?

I don't think it will Flow 400 -550 cfm of airflow at 28 inches of water depression Steve any 23 degree SBC Intake manifold or Cylinder head.
Even if it could all efforts are for Naught without Big Tube Racing Headers with 2.00" primary tubes & 3-1/2" - 4.00 Inch diameter header coillectors to achieve 800-1,000 HP Normal Aspirated.
You have the only set of Big Tube SBC Headers I know of & for your 15 degree valve inclination heads.

Small Block Chevy is still nice for stock 210 HP range to 450 HP.

You should have been there with Bob & Me for a few weeks deciding what to do with Marc's Renegade Intake.
Bob kept saying its JUNK BRI ! I dont think it can be fixed.....
I thought of a Plan with Bob. :thumbsup:

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

When you have Vintage Chevrolet & Pontiac Stock Parts & Racing parts they are Made In the USA.

:grin:

Drawmain
Pinky Finger

maniacmechanic wrote:I don't think it will Flow 400 -550 cfm of airflow at 28 inches of water depression Steve any 23 degree SBC Intake manifold or Cylinder head.
Even if it could all efforts are for Naught without Big Tube Racing Headers with 2.00" primary tubes & 3-1/2" - 4.00 Inch diameter header coillectors to achieve 800-1,000 HP Normal Aspirated.
You have the only set of Big Tube SBC Headers I know of & for your 15 degree valve inclination heads.

Small Block Chevy is still nice for stock 210 HP range to 450 HP.

You should have been there with Bob & Me for a few weeks deciding what to do with Marc's Renegade Intake.
Bob kept saying its JUNK BRI ! I dont think it can be fixed.....
I thought of a Plan with Bob. :thumbsup:

This is disheartening. The damn thing was expensive. I'm glad y'all came up with a plan. As I said, the stock one I have (home ported by me) is working well. No noticeable loss of power from the Renegade, but then again I had not optimized the tune either. I have installed a Wide Band O2 to better tune the engine, but I'm waiting until I get the Renegade back to get serious.

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

I will check with Bob tofay and see where he is at with your Renegade Intake.
He gets mad when I rush him.

His 1970 Charger SE is close or almost ready for paint.
Hard to get his full attention.
Dream of his since 2011.
High dollar restoration. $30 k bill from the Mopar Resto shop near us.

maniacmechanic
VFF Tech Mod

I talked to Bob.
He is workingvon a big project for Fermi lab.
Once done with your Renegade is next to Finish Marc.
A few weeks away yet.

ArKay99
VFF Finger Ringers

It's sad that to get good parts these days you have to go to this extent of reman...especially with such a high up front cost!

The democrat party is the most successful hate group. It attracts poor people who hate rich people, black people who hate white people, gay people who hate straight people, feminists who hate men, environmentalists who hate the internal combustion engine, and a lot of bratty college kids who hate their parents. However, the real secret of the party's success is that it attracts the support of journalists who hate Republicans, and who therefore work tirelessly to convince the rest of us that we should vote for democrats.

Return to “Tech”